Friday, January 9, 2015

The Solitude Chronicles, Day 2: Little Things

If you ever get to know me you’ll find that I’m probably too easy to please. It is the smallest, most simple things that can make me truly joyful. A simple smile, a kind word or note, holding the door open for me when I know you are in as much of a rush as I, and, in this modern day, a text saying I’m thinking about you all hold way more weight in my book than the collective financial riches on this planet.

Just today a student approached me out of the blue. If you knew this little first grader, you’d understand that she’s way too serious to be six. She is sweet, respectful, and kind, yet stoic in her semblance to the point it seems she may always take sarcasm at face value and then ask the why of it. Well, today she got out of her seat without permission and came to me with a little smile on her face. I was shocked and thought surely her desk must have caught fire for her to break a classroom rule and get up without permission! I looked at her and said, “Yes?” waiting for an off the wall response. Instead, she said in her sweetest voice, “You’re the most awesome teacher in the world!” and wrapped her arms around my head.

Wow! How did I get to deserve that? I’m really not sure, but I’m overwhelmed by her sincere gesture of affection for a person who she only knows as teacher. For all she knows I could be a horrible wretch the rest of the time. Do I really show that much patience and care? For some reason she found a grace in me that I had somewhat forgotten.

That was at 8:23 in the morning and I am still smiling. Coming from this gentle, caring soul who was so cautious in her assessment of life and her environment, I took it as the highest honor anyone could bestow on my person. In so much as the politics and paperwork of my job can seem frustrating at times, it is that kind word, that assessment and the effort I know that genuine, innocent smile took that make me realize that I am truly blessed. But that wasn't it for today!

On the way back from the library a boy from my class picked a bunch tiny of flowers. I’d noticed that he was up to something and braced myself as he leaped toward me. “Here Ms. D!” he stated proud of his accomplishment and handed me his tiny collection. As I thanked him and said I felt special he said, “You are special… and pretty. They match you.” I melted at that moment and thought to myself that I really am an ungrateful soul! How can I feel alone when I am surrounded by so many who love and appreciate me?

I was complaining to my friend recently about the time we spend together. I was all bent out of shape because he’d replied to texts or gone online for a bit when we were spending time together. He said to me, “I feel like you’re focusing on little things. Tiny details and not appreciating the rest.” He was absolutely right. Instead of focusing on the big picture, the days and evenings we’d spent together enjoying each other’s company, a movie, a meal, much more than I had with any one person in several years, I was focusing on the little things. I was behaving like a spoiled brat that didn’t want to share my new shiny toy.

I didn’t grow up with the tech we have today and have become hypersensitive to it in recent years as well as hyper-addicted to it in equal measure. Yet that’s no excuse to be so negative with someone who has truly added so much to my life. Shouldn’t I understand that it’s hard to peel away from it? Shouldn’t I know that, over all the people he could be spending time with, he’d chosen to give it to me? That he has others he’s trying to keep happy, too? Nah! I chose to complain about the little things. The ones that, in this case, were really unimportant because it was only a few minutes for something that was important to him. I was wrong and, if he’d been any other person, he might have dropped me like a hot potato. Thankfully, he has way more patience than I do.

So as I reflect today and continue my soul searching in order to overcome my self-perceived solitude, I ask God to help me focus on the right little things. To see the blessings He’s placed in my life, large and small, and not focus on minor distractions which cloud a brighter picture. And when there are clouds, to be able to discern the difference between the ones that are harmful and may cause turmoil and those intended to be a little bit of shade on an overly hot, sunny day. If I’m truly honest with myself, I’ll recognize the fact that even the storm clouds have the ability to refresh and renew the earth. To bring new life.

Really, it’s up to me. It’s a matter of perception and attitude. Today I choose to view the positive and see all those people who enrich my life from here on out. To embrace the little blessings and trash the otherwise small, negative ones. I hope I can make this one a permanent change. I know that God has so much more in store for me if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment