Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My Cat Eats Ants, The Solitude Chronicles: Day 7

Last night before I went to bed, I saw my cat following something tiny on the tile floor. A minuscule ant had her completely hypnotized as she followed its curved and somewhat erratic path. She toyed with it a bit, swatting it out of its purpose and carefully followed, nose to the ground as if by magnetic force. It was cute up until the point she decided to eat the creature.

I started to think that, in life, sometimes we're the cat and other times, the ant. Those aren't the only choices, but likely the most frequent. We can be in a position of control and power, choosing to toy with and eat our entertainment. However, more often than not, the entertainment is a temporary fix that doesn't even fill us when we're done chewing. On the other hand, we can end up being like that tiny ant, feeling small but full of purpose. We wander through life until smacks us around and swallows us whole. I call this relationship reality.

"Oh! You're so negative!" Yeah... Uh... No, I'm not. I've been there in both positions and so have you. As a cat, I've had that choice, to play with a tiny ant I could just as easily have squashed until its exoskeleton cracked causing it innards to become its outtards (Yup. Made up a word. Language is evolving. Enjoy!). However, I know I've preferred to allow the ant to live even as tempted as I might have been to feel that crunch under my paw.

Similarly, I've been in the position of the ant all too often. Wandering through life looking for a dry place to build my home and some taco shell crumbs to fill my belly. I thought I was fine to be me and just live oblivious to the prowling, hair ball filled menace above. However, I caught a few cats' eyes along the way. Too often the cats played with me and let me go when their fun was over. A couple times, I was swallowed whole without mercy. I mean, really, how often do you find a cat that goes against its nature? Rarely. My cats have been lions at times and just because I've let them live in peace does not mean I'll receive diplomatic immunity.

Either way, whether a cat or an ant, we do have a choice in our decisions and what path we take. As an ant, we can choose a safer route than the middle of the living room floor. As a cat, we can choose to show mercy and pray that, when a larger animal runs into us, that we are paid back for our kindness.

So exactly what does this have to do with solitude? Well, in watching them I thought, "How bored and lonely must this cat be to have nothing better to do than destroy another creature?" Some people do terrible things in the midst of their loneliness. They are miserable and want everyone to be miserable along with them. If they see an opportunity to eat someone else alive, they take it in order to feel empowered and have some sense of accomplishment in their lives. Don't be that person. I guarantee that others will see what you've done and you will end up even more alone. Take the high road. Let it go. Put on your big girl or big boy pants and weather the storm until the sun shines again.

On the other hand, I can't imagine how lost and lonely that poor ant must have felt during its last few moments on my hard, cold, ceramic tile. I suppose its itty-bitty ant life must have flashed before its teensy ant eyes. From the time it was just a little larva to the last piece of advice offered by grandpa ant, "Don't use the highway. It's not safe. Take the side roads so you won't get stepped on by a giant or worse." Did we make the choices that put is in that situation? Scripture tells us that there is wisdom in a multitude of counsel. That is absolutely true! Look at every bad decision that you've made. Weren't there at least several people, friends who cared, family, warning you not to go that route? But you did, and since hindsight is 20/20. You think back to that at your loneliest moments and remember that you really did do it to yourself. And it's not that you need to be boring and stop bungee jumping (is that still a thing?) every weekend. That isn't the point. However, we do need to be sensitive to our 'gut' in certain situations. It is ultimately up to you when you choose to listen.

This is not every case in the world, but it is many. We need to learn to gauge our choices. To listen to that inner voice and not allow ourselves to make hasty decisions that lead to greater loneliness and turmoil in our lives. I am speaking to myself since I know I've made some choices that have put me where I am today. The good news is that, if I continue on my path of positive choices, it will likely yield positive results. Yes, the unexpected happens and ugly, bitter cats still roam the planet. However, if we're wise and a little lucky or simply find God's favor, we can avoid the cat altogether or an eagle will swoop down from the heavens and get that pest off of our backs sooner rather than later. Food for thought. Hugs, T, a.k.a. Odd Numbered Kisses

No comments:

Post a Comment